Forwarded Message - Ouray NWR

(submitted on the "Utah Birds" web site)

From: Julie VanMoorhem
Date: Friday, May 17, 2002 at 08:20:02
Subject: Ouray NWR, etc.5-16-02

Kent Lewis and I birded the Ouray/Pelican Lake area yesterday.
We saw 80 species for the whole trip.  Water levels are seriously down
at Midview Reservoir and Ouray NWR; only 3 ponds had water at Ouray and

there was a small amount of water in the Leota Bottoms area.  While we
saw a fair number of species, we did not see lots of individuals within

the species in some cases.  Maybe the drought is affecting production??

Some of the time it was quite windy so this probably kept some of the
birds down.

Highlights:

Roosevelt Rest Stop (next to the cemetery): Common Grackle
Pelican Lake: Osprey, Black Terns. Common Yellowthroat
Ouray NWR:  Wilson's Phalarope, Blue-winged Teal, Eastern Kingbird,
American Bittern (just 1), White-throated Swift, Dusky Flycatcher (1),
Western Wood Pewee (1), Yellow-rumped Warbler (lots), Lark Sparrow (2),

Say's Phoebe (1-in the town of Ouray)
Duchesne Sewage Ponds: Red-necked Phalarope (3), Wilson's Phalarope,
Long-billed Dowitcher (1), Blue-winged Teal
Midview Reservoir: Caspian Terns (2), Spotted Sandpiper (3)

It was a fun day!
Good Birding to all,
Julie