Bendire's Thrasher

- ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C1ECA7.858712C0

Greetings!

Tonight I was birding along the Jordan River Parkway (south of 12600 =
South).  Around 7:00 I saw a bird perched in a tree just a few feet off =
the ground.  As I moved a little closer, the bird hopped up to eye =
level.  For the next half hour, I had the good fortune of observing the =
bird at a distance of about six feet.  It was rather scruffy looking at =
first and my initial thought was that it had been tousled around by a =
cat or was possibly a young bird; however, it kept shaking and shaking =
and shaking until it finally smoothed itself out.  The most noticeable =
features were the curved bill and yellowish eye.  It was a Bendire's =
Thrasher and it looked exactly like the picture in the Stokes Field =
Guide.  About 7:30, the bird flew east and landed in the top of the =
sagebrush and that's where I left him.  Wow, what a treat!

Now, the sad part of the story.  For the first time in the last 4,000 =
times I have been out, I didn't have my camera.  I just wanted to take a =
walk and not have to lug a bunch of equipment with me.  When do you =
think I'll ever have another chance to get a picture at six feet - argh. =
 I'm going out again first thing in the morning and will provide an =
update.

Here are some general directions:  Walk south on the trail until it =
reaches a point where it is going directly east.  Keep walking east =
until the trail bends south again (here you will see the equestrian =
trail on the left).  Just as you turn south, you will see a marshy area =
with reeds that lines the trail on the left (east) for quite a ways.  I =
saw the thrasher about 50 yards after turning south.  Sorry to be so =
wordy.  Can you tell I'm excited.  Good luck!

Pomera

- ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C1ECA7.858712C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Greetings!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Tonight I was birding along the Jordan River Parkway =
(south of=20
12600 South).&nbsp; Around 7:00 I saw a bird perched in a tree just a =
few feet=20
off the ground.&nbsp; As I moved a little closer, the bird&nbsp;hopped =
up to eye=20
level.&nbsp; For the next half hour, I had the good fortune of observing =
the=20
bird at a distance of about six feet.&nbsp; It was rather scruffy =
looking at=20
first and my initial thought was that it had been tousled around by a =
cat or was=20
possibly a young bird; however, it kept shaking and shaking and=20
shaking&nbsp;until it&nbsp;finally smoothed itself out.&nbsp; The most=20
noticeable features were the curved bill and yellowish eye.&nbsp; It was =
a=20
Bendire's Thrasher and it looked exactly like the picture in the Stokes =
Field=20
Guide.&nbsp; About 7:30, the bird flew east and landed in the top of the =

sagebrush and that's where I left him.&nbsp; Wow, what a =
treat!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now, the sad part of the story.&nbsp; For the first =
time in=20
the last 4,000 times I have been out, I didn't have my camera.&nbsp; I =
just=20
wanted to take a walk and not have to lug a bunch of equipment with =
me.&nbsp;=20
When do you think I'll ever have another chance to get a picture at six =
feet -=20
argh.&nbsp; I'm going out again first thing in the morning and will =
provide an=20
update.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here are some general directions:&nbsp; Walk south =
on the=20
trail until it reaches a point where it is going directly east.&nbsp; =
Keep=20
walking east until the trail bends south again (here you will see the =
equestrian=20
trail on the left).&nbsp; Just as you turn south, you will see a marshy =
area=20
with reeds that lines the trail on the left (east) for quite a =
ways.&nbsp; I saw=20
the thrasher about 50 yards after turning south.&nbsp; Sorry to be so=20
wordy.&nbsp; Can you tell I'm excited.&nbsp; Good luck!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pomera</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C1ECA7.858712C0--