Forwarded Message - Vermilian Flycatcher

(forwarded by webmaster)

Subject: Vermilion Flycatcher
From: Kreig Rasmussen
Email_Address: kmrasmussen@fs.fed.us

Message: On March 26, while dropping off wildlife technicians Chris Tuttle and LaKecia Wilkinson at her truck at the Junction of Highway 24 and 119, about 8 miles east of Richfield (approx 7500 ft elev., pinyon juniper sage habitat), we spotted a beautiful red and dark grey bird that we had a hard time figuring out.  I had never seen one before and was confused to what it may be.  As it flew back and forth from road sign to road sign, I thought it flew like a flycatcher, but I kept telling myself it must be some kind of finch that the red coloring had morphed into some kind of deep red, broad spread coloring on the bird.  I grabbed my trusty Nikon with a 300mm lens and 800 speed film and captured the bird on film.  After further investigation into the books we found out we had seen a "Vermillion Fycatcher"!!  From what I can tell this is way north for this flycatcher.