Redpolls in Salt Lake County

My wife Susan called me this afternoon to report a common redpoll (!) mixed
with the Cassin's finches at our feeders, including a feeder located right
by the window (so she got a very good look).  The bird appeared again about
2:00 pm, and may stick around for a few days.  We live in Emigration
Canyon, about two miles above Ruth's diner.

While I'm writing, I'd also like to report three Winter Wrens in City Creek
on Sunday.  One was just above picnic site number 1.  The other two were
between sites 5 and 6.  The male was singing off an on for some time
(that's how we found them) and hopping about in the bushes, which gave us
good looks.  This is a Saffle life bird!

Jeffrey R. Saffle, MD
Professor of Surgery
University of Utah Health Center
Room 3B-306