Spring is here ask the birds

Hi All

It's very exciting to see the changes taking place with our feathered friends. I spent several hours at Farmington Bay Saturday and saw a lot of evidence of spring on it's way. We saw hundreds of ruddy ducks about half of the drakes already in their beautiful red summer plumage and bills turning blue. Pairs of Canada Geese on the ground searching for the perfect spot to nest, also hundreds of ducks swimming in pairs. We saw several pairs of buffel heads looking interested in more than diving and feeding, I've never seen them spend so much time on the surface and in pairs. Also Cinnamon Teal I haven't seen them for a few months but their back. Saw several canvasbacks in pairs. Still hundreds of swans many eagles, pintails, green winged teal, and the usual assortment of ducks. I looked for avocets but I didn't see any. We did see a small flock of Greater Yellow Legs.

Glen Barlow was with us and spotted a Peregrine Falcon chasing down a duck. They went below the cattails and we lost them, assuming the peregrine was successful because neither came back up.

It was still very cold it looked more like spring than felt like it but I believe the birds.

Happy Birding Steve