Hoary Redpolls

- --part1_78.20bf8073.297a2353_boundary

       I tried to send this earlier, but it didn't go out for some reason.
I'll try again.  Arnie and I went up to Mantua on Wed. We found the flock of
about 3 dozen redpolls in the yard on the Northeast corner of 300 West and
Center St.  We were there from 2 to 4.  It was sunny and we parked the van
right in front of the tree, about 30 feet.  The easiest field mark was the
undertail coverts.  I saw 2 or 3 birds with the D pattern, or no streaking at
all as shown in Sibley.  The birds were feeding so ferociously it was hard to
get a look at other parts, but I was able to see all views of one female.
She had a significantly smaller beak than the Common Redpolls around her and
no streaking on the flanks and chest.  The streaking on the sides was thinner
and sparser than on the others.  She was paler with more white on the back.
The neck and cheeks were paler and more of a wash than streaks like the
common.  I am convinced there is at least one Hoary and perhaps 2 or 3.
                               Dana

- --part1_78.20bf8073.297a2353_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>  &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I tried to send this earlier, but it didn't go out for some reason. &nbsp;I'll try again. &nbsp;Arnie and I went up to Mantua on Wed. We found the flock of about 3 dozen redpolls in the yard on the Northeast corner of 300 West and Center St. &nbsp;We were there from 2 to 4. &nbsp;It was sunny and we parked the van right in front of the tree, about 30 feet. &nbsp;The easiest field mark was the undertail coverts. &nbsp;I saw 2 or 3 birds with the D pattern, or no streaking at all as shown in Sibley. &nbsp;The birds were feeding so ferociously it was hard to get a look at other parts, but I was able to see all views of one female. &nbsp;She had a significantly smaller beak than the Common Redpolls around her and no streaking on the flanks and chest. &nbsp;The streaking on the sides was thinner and sparser than on the others. &nbsp;She was paler with more white on the back. &nbsp;The neck and cheeks were paler and more of a wash than streaks like the common. &nbsp;I am convinced there is at least one Hoary and perhaps 2 or 3. &nbsp;
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dana</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_78.20bf8073.297a2353_boundary--