Redpolls, etc.

This afternoon (1/13) Kathy and I saw about 15 Common Redpolls in Mantua,
in the birch trees at 50 South Main Street.  A second trip was worth it.
Long, close looks, in full sunlight.  A lot better than last week when we
saw one bird fleetingly, in the top of a tree, in overcast conditions.
We did not see any waxwings.
The Trumpeter Swan family (2 adults, 3 juveniles) was still present at
the pond near mile marker 18, just north of Deweyville.
On the west side of Mendon (about 200 South and Hwy 23), we found one
Harris' Sparrow in a flock of White-crowned Sparrows.
On Antelope Island, six American Tree Sparrows were at the parking lot
just past Ladyfinger Picnic Area (i.e., the second parking area as you
drive right around the island).
At FBWMA, there was a Short-eared Owl hunting along the west dike road.

Joel Beyer