redpolls - arrgh

Hello all,

I too spent quality time in Mantua yesterday with my
family.  Unfortunately, despite driving around the
whole town for almost 2 hours (split between morning
and afternoon), I never was able to locate any
redpolls or even Bohemian Waxwings.  I did see
numerous House Finches, American Goldfinches, and
Cedar Waxwings, as well as a few Downy Woodpeckers.  I
also spent a little time out at the Bear River Refuge,
and saw basically the same things that Steve Coleman
mentioned (though I missed the owls).  On the road
into the refuge, about 5 miles from the freeway, I did
see a flock of 12 American Tree Sparrows.  They were
near the point where the river first meets the road.
There were also 2 female Hooded Mergansers on the pond
(Maheur's? Mayor's?) in Brigham City at the mouth of
the canyon.

Anyway, please keep reporting sightings of the
redpolls as long as they last.  I teach school in
Sandy, so I have no way of getting up to Mantua on
weekdays during daylight hours.  I would like to take
another shot at the redpolls next weekend if they're
still around.  Thanks.

- -Mike Johnson