Common Redpoll - Fish Springs CBC

Terry Sadler, Dana Green and I found a Common Redpoll on the Fish Springs
CBC today.  It was in the salt cedar (tamarisk) patch along the Pony Express
Road in between Fish Springs NWR and Callao.  I can't remember the exact
mileage, but I believe the tamarisk patch was about 12 miles west of the
Fish Springs NWR headquarters along the Pony Express Road (about 1/2 mile
west of where the power lines cross the Pony Express Road).  However, this
bird appears it will follow suite with all the other redpoll reports this
year (a one day wonder).  Just as we were about to leave, the bird flew
overhead and headed northeast out across the desert.  Anyway, we had awesome
looks (and Terry was able to snap a few photos, too).  I don't know the
final total for the CBC, but I think it will definitely be higher than the
past few years.  Other highlights of the day included a Bewick's Wren (seen
by Terry), White-faced Ibis (seen by Jay Banta), Juniper Titmouse, and Great
Egret.  It's good to be back and as always...

THE BEST OF GOOD BIRDING!!!

Colby Neuman
scythebill83@hotmail.com
crn23@cornell.edu