New Book

Sibley's new companion Guide to Bird Life and Behavior is now available if
any of you are interested.  To quote from its introduction, "The book is
divided into two parts.  Part I: The World of Birds provides a basic
overview of bird biology, with chapters covering the way birds' bodies
work, bird evolution, behavior, habitats, and conservation.  Part II:
Families of North America includes chapters on the families of birds that
occur in North America, written by expert birders and ornithologists
familiar with the family described."  Illustrations are by David Allen
Sibley, the same who illustrated the Sibley Guide to Birds, which most
birders seem to be using as their choice of reference for
identification--if not in the field at least back at their home.
I have ornithology and bird behavior texts as well as the Birder's Handbook
by Ehrlich, et. al., and this new Sibley book is a combination of all of
these under one cover.  You may want to check it out at your local bookstore.
Merrill Webb