Re: [birdnet] Logan

Hi Carol,

Best places?  Well, I dunno............  I can just tell you a few that I
like to hit about any time of year in the area.  First Dam in the mouth of
Logan Canyon, and the river just below for an occasional Dipper.  Just
Below Right Hand fork Logan Canyon for Swifts. There is a monument of some
weird fossils at this location to help you find it.  Any of the campgrounds
or trail heads between there and Logan are worth checking out.  The Oxbow
of the bear river north of the Benson Church.  Hyrum Dam, and Mantua
Reservoir.  The Mendon Road, especially in the area of Spring Creek and the
Little Bear River.  That gives you some spots close by Logan.  If you want
to travel further, Tony Grove and Beaver Creek are fun spots.  The Bear
River Migratory Bird Refuge west of Brigham City is a worthwhile trip any
time of year.  You need to plan a full day for this one.  At least I always
take 8 to 10 hours from start to finish when I go there.  I seldom make a
full day of birding, but hit some favorite spots when I am in the
neighborhood and passing through.

Sunday at the Hyrum Dam there were White Pelicans, Caspian Terns, Calif.
Gulls, Franklin's Gulls, Western Grebes, Eared Grebes,	Avocets, Loon,
several Hawks, and some swallows.  A scope is a big help here, as the range
to the mudflats (east side of lake) where the water birds congregate is
considerable for binocs.

Great birding,

James Lofthouse