FW: Iron County Phainopepla

Saturday July 21 Glenda and I headed out on Highway 56 from Cedar City to
Leach Canyon to see the Phainopepla reported by Steve.  Before we got there
we saw a bird fly over the road and so we decided to check out the creek.
This was at mile post 48, at the "leaving BLM land" signs, just across from
the large blue "Adopt a Highway" cleanup sign.  We found a small colony of
phainopepla in the wash, at least three males and three females.  Because
you are 12 feet up on the bank the view was great.  A host of other birds
there included yellow-breasted chat, scrub jay, and black-headed grosbeak.  It
was wonderful, thanks SS.

Jack Torrey & Glenda Cotter