real feral Rock Doves..............

There are about 30 Rock Doves calling it home on the cliffs up East Canyon
from Avon.  They are on the formation some of the locals call the "Birthday
Cake", which is a cliff on the south side of the road and just a half mile
or so below the Porcupine Dam. (kinda resembles a layer cake) Most of the
birds appear to be colored just as shown in the books, but a few have some
white primaries.  They are quite aways above the road, so if you want to
observe them a scope is advised.  I don't guess this will be any big draw,
but thought I would mention it as a follow up on the rock dove discussion
of a week or so back.

If you are in the area, stop at the Berry Bridge and listen.  I think what
I am hearing there is Swainson's Thrush, but it has been about 8 years
since I last heard them with a positive ID and I would like your opinion.
These fellers don't like to let themselves be seen.  :)  I sometimes see
them in migration, but they are not singing then.  Oh yes, the Berry Bridge
is the only bridge over the east fork of the Little Bear River you will
cross as you go up East Canyon, and it is about a mile below the Porcupine
Dam.  In the same area keep a lookout for dippers, kingfishers, yellow
warblers, golden eagles, western tanagers, spotted sandpipers, and song
sparrows.

cul

James Lofthuse