Shorebirds

For those that have not been to Bear River lately ABSOLUTELY HAVE to make a
trip in the next couple of weeks.  The shorebird numbers are incredible to
say the least.  The auto-tour unit is probably less than 1/2 full providing
excellent shorebird habitat.  Yesterday, I went to the refuge to show my dad
the awesome sight.  American Avocets, Black-necked Stilts and White-faced
Ibis were there in the thousands.  Marbled Godwits numbers were probably
over 1000, too.  However, the most impressive display were the "peeps".
There were well over 10,000 and it definitely would not surprise me to find
out their numbers were in the 20000's.  A lot of the birds were too far away
to pick anything unusual out.  However, the water levels had lowered
significantly in just the last 4 days (since Thursday of last week) forcing
the birds closer to the road on the south end.  As the water lowers even
furthur over the next week or two, birders will have a great opportunity to
see large numbers of shorebirds at a relatively close range (similar to
areas in Texas & California).  Other shorebirds at the refuge included both
yellowlegs (dozens), there were about 100 Westerns & 15 Leasts out of the
peeps that were in scope range, 1 basic plumaged Sanderling, 4 Snowy Plover,
25 Spotted Sandpipers, Wilson's Phalaropes (dozens), Willets (dozens),
Long-billed Dowitcher (10) and one Long-billed Curlew.  Also, there were
Bonaparte's Gulls and Black Terns at the refuge, too.

THE BEST OF GOOD BIRDING!!!

Colby