American Dipper

Camping at Tanners Flat campground up Little Cottonwood Canyon we went on a
little hike and an AMERICAN DIPPER's nest. We watched the bird fly up and
feed at least two young in the nest many, many times. The nest is just at
the top of a waterfall. To find it you have to walk through a campsite, so
be courteous. Go to the Tanner Flat campground and drive to campsite number
37, then walk on the trail until you pass the campground. You will have to
go through some brush and clamber over some granite rocks and boulders. Find
the waterfall--it's not too tough. At the crest of the waterfall on the
opposite bank there is a big boulder that has overhangs the brook slightly.
Just under the overhang there is a mossy patch--that's the nest, the
entrance is in the side. Watch for a few minutes and you'll see the bird
come up and feed its young.

- --Terrol Williams