Woodpeckers

Pomera Fronce and I went to Mirror Lake today.  We tried finding the
Williamson's Sapsuckers at Provo River Falls.  We only saw three birds
and we think it was the same junco three different times.  No
Williamson's in sight.
We moved on up to Mirror Lake and located the lightning-zapped tree
along the highline trail.  Seeing nothing we decided to pass the tree
and as Pomera looked back the three-toed woodpecker peeked its head
out.  In a 45-minute time period we managed to get about seven headshots
on film. We also saw gray jays, a Clark's nutcracker, chipping sparrows,
Cassin's finch, pine grosbeak, a mountain chickadee, and pine siskin,
etc.
We did see at a bridge along the river near Peoa a dipper, two catbirds,
yellow warblers, swallows, goldfinches, and lesser goldfinches.  Two
sandhill cranes flew right over our car at skunk hollow (near the cutoff
to Peoa and Kamas) and neither one of us had our cameras out.  We saw 36
species in all.
Carol Davis