Three-toed woodpecker, Williamson's sapsucker

<message forewarded by the webmaster>

Subject: Three-toed woodpecker, Williamson's sapsucker

Message: A pair of three-toed woodpeckers are excavating a nest on one
of the Mirror Lake trails.  Go to Mirror Lake and park in the "Trail
Head" parking lot.  Take the trail next to the horse corrals (and keep
an
eye out for snowshoe hare.)  About a quarter mile in (estimate by Bob
Huntington, I am terrible with distances) is a lightning struck pine
tree very close to the right side of the trail.  It is completely bare
and
forks like a Saguaro cactus about ten feet up.  Look on the right-hand
fork.  There is a nest hole.  Be patient and the woodpeckers will show
up.  These were seen on June 25th by Steve Carr, Bob Huntington, Bob
MacDougall, Kent Morsby, and Barbara Watkins.

On the same day a pair of Williamson's sapsuckers were seen on the
Provo Falls overlook trail.  Just hike on the right side (facing
upstream)
of the river until you reach the end of the falls (a large tree has
fallen completely across the river.  Continue hiking about 200 yards
(remember I'm terrible with distances) until the river takes a very
wide
sharp bend to the left.  We were here when the pair showed up and
foraged
on trees on both sides of the river.  Happy birding.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/