Magnificent Hummingbird (Kane Co.)

<message forewarded by the webmaster>

Subject: Magnificent Hummingbird (Kane Co.)

Email_Address: summers@cedarcity.net

Message: This morning (24 June) while conducting a Breeding Bird
Survey, Priscilla and I observed a female MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD at
one of
our stops.  We saw the bird well for about 45-60 seconds from less than

20 ft. as it nectared on flowers low to (below or at knee level) the
ground. The bird was in Stout Canyon in Kane Co. The exact location was

2½ miles up Stout Canyon Rd. from Hwy. 89. Our stop was at the green
metal gate on the left (west) side of the road. This is about 1 mile
north
of the Dixie N.F. boundary sign. In the Utah DeLorme map book this
location is on page 18 in the extreme lower left corner of section B2.
Field Marks we observed were a very large (notably larger than a
Broad-tailed), almost disproportionately long billed hummingbird with
an all
green back. In the bright light we observed the bird in the back was a
golden-green. The tail was large and squarish with grayish-white tips
the outer two tail feathers (but not overly large as in a Blue-thro!
ated). The most striking mark about the bird were the dark gray
underparts, rather uniform from the throat to the legs which contrasted

sharply with the white leg feathers. There were no strongly obvious
markings
on the throat. After losing sight of the bird we waited around for a
while after our 3 minutes were up but did not see the bird again. I
don't
think the chances are good for refinding this bird but it would
certainly be worth the time if anyone is in the area to check it out.
There
weren't many flowers around at this particular stop or anything else
that
looked to us would hold it at this location, but you never know.  We
saw the bird just before 9 a.m.

On an earlier stop near Alton we saw a singing male INDIGO BUNTING.

Priscilla & Steve Summers
Cedar City

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/