Rosy Finches <forewarded message>

<message forewarded by the webmaster>

Subject: June 22/23 sightings

Email_Address: thygerson@byu.edu

Message: Early Friday (June 22) morning I went to Bald Mountain for a
look at the Black Rosy Finch.  I not only saw Black Rosy Finches but
also eight other birders from all parts of the U.S.  They were a
"Wings"
group and was at the tail-end of a 10 day trip which started in Denver
and moved across Northern Colorado and Northern Utah.  As always with
birders, they were cordial and good company.   They asked if I'd like
join their group for several hours to which I couldn't resist--more
eyes sometimes mean more birds are seen.

We also went to Mirror Lake and had great looks at  three Pine
Grosbeaks in the picnic area's parking lot.   Gray Jays were also
present.
There were other birds, but not the specialty birds for the area.
Sadly,
we didn't come across a Three-toed Woodpecker since it would have been
a lifer for many of these eastern U.S. birders.  For most of the group
seeing the Black Rosy Finch and Pine Grosbeak were lifers.

We parted company as they were heading south while I went north.
Several Red-naped Sapsuckers were seen in Utah between Mirror Lake and
the
Ranger's office (30 south of Evanston).  I journeyed on to Evanston
with
a few stops along the way to reach my goal of Dahlgreen's Creek.  This
place is barely in Utah and you travel on I-80 to Ft. Bridger to get
there before heading south back into Utah.  May I suggest that it's a
good trip if you have the time because it's great habitat with a
mountian
meadow, spruce-fir, aspen, and mountain riparian areas close to each
other, but you can more easily find the same birds closer to the
Wasatch
Front than  Dahlgreen's Creek.  Its location is identified in McIvor's
book, Birding Utah, page 207.  One highlight was seeing three coyote
pups playing in the road.

On Saturday (June 23), I had a prolonged look at two of the previously
reported Bobolinks on the north side of the dirt road which goes
westward from the tavern on the north end of Heber.

Happy birding to all,
Alton Thygerson

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/