Deseret Ranch Trip 5/19/01

Yesterday, we did our first day trip of the year to Deseret Ranch, and
found a few interesting birds. Our trip list for the day was 130 species,
including a beautiful male EURASIAN WIGEON, only the second record for the
ranch, and maybe the lastest spring record for Utah. Other highlights were
GREATER SCAUP, displaying RUFFED and BLUE GROUSE, WHIMBREL, lots of BLACK
TERNS, CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD, PURPLE MARTIN, LARK BUNTING (both male and
female), and COMMON GRACKLE. We also saw about a dozen species of mammals,
including moose (5!), elk, pronghorn, mule deer and coyote.

The next day trip to the ranch is June 2. There are also trips scheduled
for June 16, July 14 and July 21.

Good birding!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.