A little birding . . .

Yesterday (Sunday 5/13), Colby Neuman, David Wheeler and I did a little
birding. We found quite a few species of birds, and among them, a few
species of note:

Hudsonian Godwit - one, either a female or a male partially molted to
breeding plumage, at Chicken Creek Reservoir (just east of the Mills exit
(207) of I-15 in Juab Co.).

Tennessee Warbler - one at Lytle Ranch, about 1/4 mile north of where the
Common Black-Hawk's nest is

Cassin's Vireo - at Lytle Ranch, in the same tree with the Tennessee Warbler

Cassin's Kingbird - two, along the main (paved) road towards Lytle Ranch,
about one mile south of the turnoff to Gunlock Reservoir; also, two along
the road to Welcome Springs (from the unpaved road to Lytle Ranch) at the
first water trough on Saturday, 5/12

Northern Waterthrush - one at Lytle Ranch, along the trail near the Common
Black-Hawk's nest

Rufous-crowned Sparrow - one on the slope north of Welcome Springs

Common Grackle - two at the city park at Charleston (near Deer Creek Reservoir)

Also, the Painted Redstart was still in Zion on Saturday afternoon.

All of the other birds we found were more-or-less common ones, but it was
an altogether glorious day of birding, with close-to-ideal weather, and
lots of fun all around.

Good birding!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.