Common Loon

Birders:

I observed an alternate plumage Common Loon on Fool Creek Reservoir #1
in Millard County on Friday 4/6 and again on Sunday 4/8.

Fool Creek Reservoir #1 is the small reservoir that Sink Road passes.
The Loon was not visible from Sink Road though. To access the area
where I have seen the Loon you must follow a short dirt (sand) road
that begins at the reservoir's earthen dam (just west of where a canal
passes under Sink Road). The dirt road passes over the top of the dam
and continues north for less than a 1/4 mile before ending. The bank
of the reservoir continues north for another 1/8 mile or so then turns
east. Scope the reservoir north from the end of the road. The Loon has
been hanging out in the area where the bank turns east.

DO NOT attempt to drive the short dirt road unless you have four-wheel
drive! This short road is all sand. It is an easy walk to the end and
you can bird the reservoir and and surrounding countryside along the
way.

The birding is beginning to pick up in the Oak City / Sinks / Lynndyl
area - finally (and I've finally managed to find some time to get
out). I went out in this area Sunday afternoon and in about 3 hours
had logged ~50 species. I missed at least another 5 or 6 that should
have been givens.

Enjoy!
David Allan
Oak City, Millard Co.