one heron mystery solved one to go

Thanks for the input regarding my sighting of what I now know was a Little
Blue Heron. The bird was most certainly all dark and by itself. As I said, I
saw it after 10 AM. It was in the open and not very far away. With the help
of my new Sibley guide (thanks for the recommendation Kort) and the
knowledge that it they have been here in the past I was able to quit denying
to myself that it was what I saw. The only other guide I had until today was
the Stokes Field Guide. The bird's posture was exactly as described and
shown in the Sibley Guide but the Heron was rotated just slightly away from
me.

Tonight's Herons I saw from my living room! I was watching the Meadowlark
that must live very nearby as it sat atop a wooden fence post when the
Herons entered my field of view. They were below my eyepoint and moving
away. The two were predominantly gray with lighter gray streaking on the
back and wing coverts. The flight feathers were not black and their legs
were dark. I didn't get a look at the neck and head. I watched them fly
about 1/2 mile away and descend to a low lying area below a tree-line. 15
minutes later I was walking by the window to answer the phone and I caught a
very brief glimpse of them flying back toward Pineview and the North Arm
Natural Area (about 3 miles from my house). I hope to spend a little time
around Pineview this weekend and hopefully I'll sight them again.

Later I got to watch a male Northern Flicker try to stand his ground atop my
large feeder as 15 or so Redwing Blackbirds moved in. Within minutes of that
two Canadian Geese flew right over my head going Northwest. Also the male
Redtail Hawk that has nested within sight of my home was perched on the
power pole across the road in a torrential downpour.

Thanks so much for the input regarding the Little Blue Heron. I don't have a
life but maybe I should.

Cheers,

Ron Wheeler
on a hillside in Eden, Utah