Farmington birds

We made our monthly Audubon excursion to Farmington Bay and "Grover Ponds"
yesterday. Clark's Grebes, Tree Swallows, and Yellow-headed Blackbirds are
back and Tundra Swans (on water west and north of the entrance road at the
first turn) and the small flock of Snow Geese are still in the area.  After
Farmington we went up to Bill Fenimore's home to see the European Goldfinch
that has apparently managed to escape captivity somewhere. We got a quick
look at the E.G. as well as Siskins, American and Lesser Goldfinches,
Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers , etc. Bill was a gracious host for the group
and he has a very attractive back yard, feeding sites and wooded backdrop for
the action.
Was working in my yard at dusk last eve. and looked up to see a Hermit Thrush
bathing in my little pond.  He was just around for a few minutes. Made me
realize again how serendipitous birding is... and how many birds one just
happens to see glancing out a window, etc. Also how many birds undoubtedly go
through our yards unnoticed because we have lives and can't be staring out
the window all the time! Or some might argue staring out of windows looking
for birds is a life.    Hugh Gillilan