Second Thoughts

Earlier in the day our Audubon group thought we were seeing 3 Longbilled
Dowitchers which we knew would be very unusual for this time of year.
Probably our perceptions were foggier than we thought!  We were particularly
keying off the behavior of three long-billed birds probing for food in a
tight group in typical Dowitcher fashion.  But the remembered back pattern
kept bugging me and I belatedly turned to the field guides upon returning
home only to realize to my chagrin that winter Dowitchers are gray and not
the pattern I recalled. That prompted a call to Mark Stackhouse who helpfully
enlightened me by indicating that winter behavior of Snipes can be
Dowitcher-like (small groups feeding together in the open, rapid up and down
probing, etc.) So, my best guess is that we saw 5 snipes total and no
Dowitchers. Moral of the story, when in doubt, or fog, or freezing cold,
consult the field guides anyway, on the spot, for better accuracy!  Hugh
Gillilan