No Subject

To follow up on Dennis Shirley's e-mail re. Hogle Pond in Charleston: Gary
Grubb and I visited there today and shortly after stopping on the gravel
drive near the pond we were greeted by the caretaker who was not a happy
camper that we were there. He also was not interested in looking through
Gary's scope at a beautiful male Hooded Merganser. "I could care less about
those birds," he said. Nonetheless, we really did have a civil conversation.
He said they get too many uninvited visitors including two hunters recently
who "snuck into the pond area and were shooting ducks raining birdshot on my
house." He also volunteered information on the two swans on the pond saying
they come every winter and are joined later by two additional swans one of
which has a gradually fading pink stripe painted on it.  The swans there
looked big enough and had the head shape to be Trumpeters and had no yellow
spot on the bill (as is the case with some Tundras). We didn't want to push
our unwelcome further and left before spending more time on ID for the swans.
The caretaker said to ask his permission if we were to come again but talking
to Randy Cox later he indicated that he has asked permission in the past and
been turned down.  So, there you have it!
P.S. Didn't see the Barrows Goldeneye there but did see a drake and three
females on the pond by the Wasatch Park visitor center along with lots of
Ringed-neck Ducks and the usual Gadwalls, Mallards, etc.  There were some
Buffleheads on the Jordanelle Reservoir but so many loops are closed in the
State Park that it was hard to get good looks at other waterfowl in the
distance.  Hugh Gillilan

- --part1_f2.5244ad4.275b1f71_boundary--